Senior Technical Education Program
at SOWELA (STEPS)
- A program for high school seniors who want to begin college while still in high school and who intend to enroll in an Associate Degree, Technical Diploma, or Certificate program after high school graduation.
- Degree Paths: Automotive Technology, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Business Administration, Chemical Laboratory Technology, Collision Repair Technology, Criminal Justice, Industrial Electrician, Nursing (RN), Welding and other programs in the SOWELA College Catalog and Student Handbook.
- STEPS students will spend the majority of their days on the SOWELA campus taking their Dual Enrollment courses. They are still registered students at their high schools and are able to participate in their clubs, athletics, proms, and graduation ceremonies.
- To satisfy high school graduation requirements, students could be placed in Dual Enrollment courses whereby credit for classes is awarded on the students’ high school and college transcripts.
- Students must meet SOWELA’s placement requirements to enroll in college-level courses and have a cumulative high school GPA of 2.5 or higher to participate.
- The cost is $45 per credit hour, plus the cost of books, online access codes, related course fees, and supplies. Fifteen credit hours (5 classes) will cost $540. Students who qualify for TOPS Tech Early Start will be charged $240 per semester plus related expenses as noted above. Payment plans are available through the SOWELA Business Office.