Student Complaint Process

Student Complaint Procedure Process

In order to ensure equitable and prompt attention is given to all student concerns, the following process should be taken. If the complaint involves discrimination on the basis of sex, race, handicap, or sexual harassment, the complainant shall go to the coordinator for Title IX and Section 504. See the coordinator names listed below. For academic complaints, see the Academic Appeals procedure. Please complete the Student Concern Form (opens new window) to be submitted to the appropriate office.

Title IX Candy Parker
Section 504 Maegan Lewis
Student Counselor Chase Walling

SOWELA Technical Community College (SOWELA) has procedures governing student complaints that provide clear and consistent guidelines for resolution of complaints as described in the SOWELA Complaint and Grievance Policy. The policy is viewable below and contains the full details of the student complaint/grievance process.

Student Complaint and Grievance Policy (PDF)

How to Make an Informal Complaint

Although not required, students may choose to file an informal complaint via the Student Complaint Form. If a Complaint Form is received, a staff member from the Office of Student Services will contact the student to encourage them to follow the procedures below. Students may also choose to follow the informal process on their own accord without submitting the Complaint Form.

  • The student is first encouraged to address the situation directly and informally with the other parties involved.
  • If the situation cannot be resolved directly, the student should next reach out to the School Dean, or departmental Director most closely related to the area in which the complaint falls. The college employee will review the relevant information and work to bring the complaint to a resolution. The resolution will be communicated to the student.
  • If the student would rather not discuss the matter with the Dean or Director of the area involved, they may choose to email the Executive Director of Enrollment Management & Student Affairs (ED of EMSA) or Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs (VCAA). The ED of EMSA or VCAA may assign a designee to review the relevant information and work to bring the complaint to a resolution. The resolution will be communicated with the student.

How to File a Formal Complaint

Students may file a formal complaint for any reason. Students who are not satisfied with the resolution of an informal complaint may choose to escalate it to the formal process.

  • Formal complaints should be filed by submitting the Student Complaint Form. Students who need assistance filing a complaint via the online form should contact the Office of Accessibility Services by visiting the Sycamore Building or through email at
  • The Executive Director of Enrollment Management & Student Affairs will receive the submitted complaint form and will assign a college representative to investigate the complaint and bring it to a resolution.
  • The assigned college representative will review all pertinent information and work to bring the complaint to resolution within the guidelines and constraints of college policies and procedures.
  • The complaint resolution will be communicated to the student.

Appealing the Outcome

If the student is not satisfied with the outcome of their complaint, an appeal may be filed under certain circumstances. These circumstances include new evidence, contradictory evidence, and evidence that the College did not follow written procedures or did not act in a fair and impartial manner. The full details of the appeals process can be found in the SOWELA Student Complaint and Grievance Policy. If a student has questions or concerns regarding this process, they may email

3820 Senator J. Bennett Johnston Avenue
Lake Charles, Louisiana 70615
(337) 421-6565
(800) 256-0483

Mon-Thu: 7:45 AM to 4:15 PM
Friday: 7:45 AM to 12:00 PM
(337) 421-6550

SOWELA Technical Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, disability, or age in its programs and activities. The following person(s) have been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies:

Title IX Officer

Candy Parker

(337) 421-6510 or (800) 256-0483

3820 Sen. J. Bennett Johnston Ave. Lake Charles, LA 70615

ADA Officer

Maegan Lewis

(337) 421-6952 or (800) 256-0483

3850 Sen. J. Bennett Johnston Ave. Lake Charles, LA 70615

©2024 SOWELA Technical Community College, All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Sitemap | Website Accessibility