Every student with a documented disability has the following rights:
- Equal access to courses, programs, services, jobs, activities, and facilities available through the College
- Reasonable and appropriate accommodations, academic adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids determined on a case-by-case-basis.
- Appropriate confidentiality of all information pertaining to his/her disability with the choice of whom to disclose his/her disability to except as required by law.
- Information reasonably available in accessible formats.
Every student with a disability at SOWELA Technical Community College has the responsibility to:
- Meet the College’s qualifications and essential technical, academic, and Institutional standards.
- Identify themselves in a timely manner as an individual with a disability when seeking an accommodation to Student Support Services and instructor(s).
- Provide documentation from an appropriate professional source that verifies the nature of the disability, functional limitations, and the need for specific accommodations to Student Support Services.
- Follow specific procedures for obtaining reasonable and appropriate accommodations, academic adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids.
- Provide instructor(s) each semester with the accommodation letters from Student Support Services in a timely manner.
- Communicate needs and concerns with Student Support Services and instructor, as appropriate.
- Make an appointment with instructors to facilitate privacy when requesting and discussing accommodations.
- Act as a self-advocate.
- Maintain the same responsibility for their education as non-disabled students including maintaining the same academic standards, attending class (exception: when consideration for absences is an approved accommodation), maintaining appropriate behavior, and providing timely notification of individual needs;
- Comprehend the course material and communicate that comprehension to instructor.
- Pay any costs associated with providing documentation necessary to receive accommodations.
- Have an open line of communication with instructors regarding any accommodation(s). Note: The communication between the student and instructor should not be limited to email unless agreed upon by both the student and instructor. If a student sends an email or leaves a telephone message for an instructor and receives no response from the instructor, open communication has not taken place.
- If the student fails to comply with these requirements, he/she will receive a written reminder of responsibilities in order to stress the importance of these requirements.