SOWELA has adopted Canvas® by Instructure as its new learning and course management system.
Canvas offers a number of new and exciting features, such as the ability to send and receive course-related text messages via your smartphone and a new tool that will show all of your assignments and due dates from all of your Canvas courses in one easy-to-use, color-coded calendar. Canvas also has a very dynamic support system that is available to users 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.
Check out the information below to discover more about Canvas.
How to Log in to Canvas
To log in to Canvas, use your LoLA username and password.
Still can’t log in to Canvas? Try changing your LoLA password. All password changes must be made by going to the LoLA login page and clicking on “CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD.” After you change your password in LoLA, close out the browser, then reopen it before you try to log in to Canvas again.
Contacts for SOWELA Canvas
If you need help with Canvas, the following support options are available to assist you:
- Login Problems in Canvas – Contact LoLA support by visiting the LoLA login page to acquire their contact information.
- Help with Using Canvas – See “How to Use and Navigate Canvas” on this page.
- Help from the Canvas 24/7 Help Desk – While on any page in Canvas, click on the “Help” link at the top right corner of your screen. Here, you can “Ask your Instructor a Question”, “Search the Canvas Guides”, “Report a Problem”, “Canvas Support Hotline” (toll-free phone call), “Chat with Canvas Support” (live chat), or “Ask the Community” (ask a Canvas expert).
- Problems with Specific Course Content (i.e. not seeing an assignment, not being able to access a quiz, etc.) – Contact your instructor directly. Instructor’s contact information can be found in the Faculty and Staff Directory.
- Other Questions Regarding SOWELA Canvas – Email email@example.com.
How to Use and Navigate Canvas
- Canvas Student Guide
- Canvas Instructor Guide
- Canvas Guides (Videos)
- Canvas Student Guide (Android)
- Canvas Student Guide (iOS)
- IT Help Guide for Students – This guide provides instructions for setting up your student email and Canvas accounts, as well as provide directions for adding your information to the SOWELA emergency call notification network.
Other Canvas Tutorials (available at Search Canvas Guides)
- Community Canvas Answers
- Student Canvas Tutorial
- NOTE: Enter your name in pop-up box to access tutorial.
More Canvas Video Tutorials
Minimum Computer Requirements to Use Canvas
Information is provided on the minimum computer requirements for users to have in order for Canvas to work on your computer and/or mobile device.
- Which browsers does Canvas support?
- What are the basic computer requirements for Canvas?
- What about accessibility in Canvas (screen readers, etc.)?
- Will Canvas work on my mobile device?
The software recommendations for the following interfaces are:
- Download the free Canvas Mobile App for iPhone or iPad.
- Download the free Canvas Mobile App for Android devices.
- Firefox 36 and 37 (Extended Releases are not supported)
- Chrome 40 and 41 (Preferred for use with Canvas)
- Safari 7 and 8
- Internet Explorer 11
- Microsoft Edge (For Windows 10)
Microsoft Programs and Office Program Viewers
Other Software Programs
Canvas can be accessed directly at https://sowela.instructure.com/.
IT Help Guide for Students
Are You Ready for Online Learning
Student eLearning Manual
Discount Technology Resources
Respondus Lockdown Browser
SOWELA College Catalog
Transcript Request Form
View Class Schedule