SOWELA faculty work very closely with student interns within their respective academic programs serving as the Internship Supervisor. As an Internship Supervisor, your goal is to guide students through their internship journey. To be trained as an Internship Supervisor, please contact the SOWELA Internship Coordinator, Dr. David Shankle, via email or by calling extension 6590.
As an Internship Supervisor, a primary objective is to help students take personal responsibility for their internships. Student ownership of the process is key to a successful internship. Students may propose an internship site or you can suggest pre-existing internship sites to students. You have the ultimate authority to approve the internship site to ensure that the goals of the internship meet your programmatic standards.
The Internship Supervisors:
- Approve the Internship Site Application
- Go over the required internship paperwork with student interns
- Oversee the internship
- Submit an Intern Roster to the SOWELA Internship Coordinator
- Communicate regularly with student interns
- Conduct an internship site visit
- Grade the required paperwork for student interns
Visit the Quick Links menu for more information.