SOWELA Transfer Academy Increasing Readiness
for Seniors (STAIRS)
- A program for high school seniors who want to begin college while still in high school and who intend to enroll in a four-year or two-year degree program after high school graduation.
- Degree Paths: Most programs in the SOWELA College Catalog and Student Handbook.
- Students may enter the STAIRS program and take General Education courses in order to tailor their studies to meet admission and prerequisite requirements of the chosen program(s) of study at the four-year institution to which they intend to transfer.
- STAIRS students can expect to earn 24-30 college credit hours. To satisfy dual enrollment courses whereby credit for classes is recorded on students’ high school and college transcripts.
- STAIRS students will spend the majority of their days on the SOWELA campus taking their Dual Enrollment courses. They are still registered students at their high schools and are able to participate in their clubs, athletics, proms, and graduation ceremonies.
- Students must meet SOWELA’s placement requirements to enroll in college-level courses and have a cumulative high school GPA of 2.5 or higher to participate.
- The cost is $45 per credit hour, plus the cost of books, online access codes, related course fees, and supplies. Fifteen credit hours (5 classes) will cost $540. Students who qualify for TOPS Tech Early Start will be charged $240 per semester plus related expenses as noted above. Payment plans are available through the SOWELA Business Office.