The mission of this program is to provide classroom instruction and practical shop experience to prepare students for employment in a variety of jobs in the field of Process Technology or to provide supplementary training for persons previously or currently in related process operations.
The program generally prepares individuals to monitor, operate, and maintain equipment used in the processing of raw material into marketable chemical/petrochemical products. Includes instruction in the following: material handling, crushing, grinding and sizing, extraction, distillation, evaporation, drying, absorption, heat transfer, cracking, and reaction processes. It also includes codes and standards, chemical and fire safety, and general plant operations.
The program emphasizes safe and efficient work practices, basic occupational skills, and employability skills.
Process Technology Progression
Beginning in Spring 2018, new students who are interested in progressing through the Process Technology degree program must submit a progression application to PTECprogress@sowela.edu no later than the deadlines listed below and indicated on the PTEC Progression Application (opens new window). The application must be completed in its entirety to be eligible for review.
In addition to SOWELA’s admission criteria, there are requirements that students must meet to complete the progression application. Following are those criteria:
- Complete the Process Technology progression application (opens new window)
- Cumulative grade point average (GPA) or 2.0 or higher
- Minimum grade of “C” in all transitional courses or eligibility for ENGL 1010 and MATH 1100 by the end of the semester in which application is being submitted
- Complete the Bennett Mechanical Comprehension Test® – 2nd ed. (BMCT® -II) with a minimum score of 30 percentile
- If you have earned prior college credits, you need to have your official transcript(s) sent to SOWELA as soon as possible. You must be fully admitted to SOWELA Technical Community College in order to be eligible for progression in the Process Technology program. This will require immunization records, official transcripts, etc.
- All documentation must be submitted to the School of Industrial Technology Support Coordinator by the following dates:
- Spring consideration – October 1st
- Summer consideration – March 1st
- Fall consideration – July 1st
Due to circumstances surrounding COVID-19, the College is temporarily waiving the Process Technology Progression Bennett test score requirement. This applies to students needing to qualify for progression in the Summer and Fall 2020 semesters. Please note that all students who skip the Bennett testing will be required to complete the Bennett test with the required score to qualify for progression in Spring 2021. All students needing to progress in Summer and Fall 2020 must meet all other progression requirements. Questions may be submitted to PTECprogress@sowela.edu.
NOTE: Random and For-Cause Drug Screening may occur for students enrolled in the Process Technology courses.
- All graduating students within the School of Industrial Technology (INDT) are required to do the following to fulfill graduation requirements:
- Complete the INDT Graduation Packet (opens new window) prior to the start of their final semester.
- Apply online in LoLA (opens new window) for graduate status after registering for final semester courses. Instructions for applying through the LoLA website can be found on the last page of the graduation packet (opens new window).
- All graduating students must meet the institution’s graduation requirements.
CIP Code: 150699
Program Type: Associate of Applied Science
Program Length: 67 Semester Credit Hours
Program Learning Outcomes
|AAS Level||% AAS Level||Diploma Level||% Diploma Level||CTS Level||% CTS Level||TCA Level||% TCA Level||Grand Total||% Grand Total||Enrollment|