SOWELA Technical Community College now offers Louisiana licensed LPN students the opportunity to enroll into SOWELA’s LPN to RN program. Students wishing to apply for the LPN to RN program must submit a LPN to RN Program Application (PDF).
LPN to RN Admission Requirements
- Must have an Unencumbered Louisiana License to Practice as a Licensed Practical Nurse.
- Must have IV Therapy Certification.
- Must score a 64% on the Entrance Exam (TEAS VI) prior to registering for NURS 1153.
- Must score a Level II (63.3%) on the ATI Fundamentals Exam prior to registering for NURS 1153.
- Must apply to NURS 1153 the semester prior and be permitted to register based on the above criteria being satisfied.
- Upon successful completion of NURS 1153, NURS 2300 and NUR 2310 – 17 Credit hours in nursing will be awarded for the following nursing courses: NURS 1100/NURS 1110, NURS 1150, and NURS 2200 and NURS 2210.
- A minimum grade of ‘C’ in all required biology, mathematics, and nursing courses.
- Completion of prerequisite general academic courses toward the degree. (All courses listed in the first semester of the curriculum pattern.)
- Minimum grade point average of 2.8 in all courses required for the degree. Grades earned in any required course completed at the time of the application will be calculated in the GPA.
- A student will be permitted to repeat only one required non-nursing or nursing course. A student who fails or withdraws (receives a grade of ‘D’, ‘F’ or ‘W’) again in that course or from a second required course will no longer be permitted to apply to the ASN program at SOWELA Technical Community College School of Nursing and Allied Health.
NURS 1153: LPN to RN Transitions: (3-0-3) This online course provides a framework for assisting transition from a licensed practical nurse to an Associate of Science in Nursing Registered Nurse. An overview of principles of pharmacology and the registered nurse’s role in meeting man’s basic needs across the lifespan. PreRequisites: Must meet minimum LPN to RN admission entrance requirements, CSSK 1010, English 1020, Math 2100, Biol 2263, Biol 2261, Hist 2010 OR Hist 2020. Co Requisites: Biol 2103 and Biol 2101.
Lake Charles, LA.