Only one application can be processed per term. If you have submitted an application for admissions and would like to change your major you must submit a “Change of Major Request” Form. Please visit the Registrar’s Office for a Change of Major Request Form.
Official transcripts from all colleges and/or universities attended must be sent to the Office of the Registrar at SOWELA Technical Community College.
Applicants must meet the minimum entrance requirements to SOWELA Technical Community College prior to being considered for the ASN program. This includes minimum ACT scores or equivalency exam scores. Please visit SOWELA College Catalog for further explanation of entrance requirements.
Admission to Clinical Nursing Courses at SOWELA Technical Community College
Admission to SOWELA Technical Community College does NOT guarantee enrollment into nursing clinical courses. Selection for enrollment in nursing courses is based on a competitive basis for available spaces. Applicants must meet the minimum criteria to be considered for selection for enrollment in clinical nursing courses.
- Admission to the College and submission of all official transcripts to the Office of the Registrar
- All transfer/change of major/re-entry students must be enrolled and taking classes at SOWELA Technical Community College during the semester of application for inclusion in the applicant pool for consideration for enrollment in Nursing 1100/1110.
- If enrollment in nursing courses is interrupted for a period of three years, the student must repeat all required courses titled ‘Nursing’.
- A cumulative grade point average (GPA) of a 2.0 or higher
- A minimum grade of ‘C’ in all required biology, mathematics, and nursing courses
- Completion of prerequisite general academic courses toward the degree. (All courses listed in the first semester of the curriculum pattern.)
- Minimum grade point average of 2.8 in all courses required for the degree. Grades earned in any required course completed at the time of the application will be calculated in the GPA.
- A student will be permitted to repeat only one required non-nursing or nursing course. A student who fails or withdraws (receives a grade of ‘D’, ‘F’ or ‘W’) again in that course or from a second required course will no longer be permitted to apply to the ASN program at SOWELA Technical Community College School of Nursing and Allied Health.
- Completion of the required entrance exam for nursing and achieving at least the minimum score required. (Test of Essential Academic Skills [TEAS VI test] is required with a minimum score of 64 %.) Further information and resources concerning the TEAS test may be found at https://www.atitesting.com/Solutions/pre-program/TEAS.aspx (opens a new window) Only SOWELA students will be allowed to take the TEAS at SOWELA.
- Completion of an application to enroll in clinical courses with attached required materials
- The clinical application packet may be picked up in the Nursing Faculty Suite or online
- Packets will be available in February and due in April for fall enrollment
- Students who transfer to the School of Nursing and Allied Health at SOWELA from another institution are also subject to the rules listed above. Failure in nursing courses taken at another institution will be treated in the same way as failures in required nursing courses and non-nursing courses at SOWELA.
- An application to enroll in clinical courses is valid for one semester only
- Incomplete applications to enroll in clinical courses will not be reviewed for selection
- No application to enroll in clinical courses will be accepted after the deadline.
Selection for Enrollment in Nursing Courses
Faculty will review each clinical application packet and selection will be made based on students’ rank:
- TEAS exam – 50%
- GPA – 35%
- SOWELA student – 15% of a point (all curriculum courses taken at SOWELA)
- Transfer student – 7.5% of a point
- TOTAL Possible =100%
- Additional points will be awarded if the student holds a degree/diploma/certificate:
- Master +5
- Bachelor +4
- Associate +3
- Diploma +2
- Certificate +1
Faculty decisions for admission to the ASN program are final. Appeals will not be considered.