The Cheniere Energy Student and Employee Hurricane Laura Relief Fund provides assistance to SOWELA Technical Community College students and employees who experienced significant financial emergencies following Hurricane Laura that threaten the students’ ability to remain in college or the employees’ ability to continue to work. This fund will support transportation and housing needs for these individuals.
Students and employees should apply to the grant if they are experiencing short-term financial emergencies or anticipated expenses that have caused financial hardship in the area of housing or transportation. This grant is considered non-taxable income. This is not a loan and does not have to be repaid.
The Cheniere Energy Student and Employee Hurricane Laura Relief Fund will assist students and employees with housing or transportation costs following the federally declared disaster, Hurricane Laura. Awards are based on financial need and the severity and impact of the disaster on students and employees and their families.
- The maximum grant administered per person will be $3,500.00 based upon availability of funds.
- Qualifying applications are reviewed in the order in which they are received.
- Student must be registered at SOWELA during the Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 semesters and have an accumulative 2.5 GPA.
- Employees must be in a benefits-eligible position for six months prior to August 27, 2020.
- Employees must be currently active or on an approved leave of absence.
- A benefits-eligible spouse or child working or studying at SOWELA Technical Community College may not apply for this grant for the same qualifying event for which the individual is applying.
Incomplete applications lacking documentation could be denied. Applications with complete documentation are more likely to be granted.
- Rent or mortgage payments
- Reasonable and necessary expenses incurred for the repair or rehabilitation of a personal residence due to this qualifying event
- Furniture, appliances, electronics
- Hotel accommodations or temporary housing due to this qualifying event
- Auto payments
- Auto repairs or maintenance due to this qualifying event
- Credit card bills not incurred as a result of this qualifying event
- Accidental damages of property or auto due to negligence of applicant
- Other expenses not permitted as a charitable gift
- Tuition and fees
You must apply online using our application form (opens new window). Applications are reviewed monthly. Notifications will be emailed at the end of the month. Awards will be deposited within 15 days of notification. Grant awards are paid to you via BankMobile or direct deposit. Students and employees are not eligible for grant assistance if they have a debt owed to SOWELA. Debt examples include: prior term tuition, parking tickets, or library fines. Students and employees are limited to a maximum of one request from this fund.