Financial Aid FAQs


How do I obtain a grant to attend SOWELA?
  • Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) with SOWELA's school code (005467).
  • Once SOWELA receives the FAFSA, you will receive an email directing you to LoLA where you can view any necessary follow up paperwork.
  • Complete and submit all required paperwork to the Enrollment Services One Stop Center.
What is SOWELA's school code?
  • 005467
How do I apply for scholarships?
  • Availability of SOWELA scholarships are publicized by posting on bulletin boards around the campus and in the program departments.
  • Applications can be submitted online by clicking here.
  • Students who submit a SOWELA scholarship application and apply for admissions by April 1 will be given priority consideration.
  • Applications for private scholarships must be made with the specific grantors.
Can I use TOPS at SOWELA?
  • All TOPS awards can be used at SOWELA.
  • TOPS Tech award can only be used for technical programs, not academic.
  • Please see the SOWELA TOPS Information page.
What are the deadlines for applying for financial aid?
  • The priority date to apply for the Fall semester is April 1. SOWELA's financial aid office will not impose deadlines other than those established by the funding program. Completion of all required paperwork by the priority date will assist in ensuring that your financial aid will be available.
  • Students who submit a SOWELA scholarship application and apply for admissions by April 1 will be given priority consideration.
What happens if I resign or cease attendance after receiving financial aid?
  • In the case of Title IV (Pell Grants) aid, ceasing attendance or resignation prior to attending more than 60% of the term will result in an overpayment, which must be repaid (see Treatment of Title IV Funds).
  • Check with the funding agency, other than Title IV, as to the consequences of resigning or ceasing attendance prior to the end of the term.
How do I appeal if I lose my financial aid because I no longer meet Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements?
  • Submit a typed appeal letter, appeal coversheet (click here to view appeal coversheets), along with supporting documentation, to the Financial Aid office. Refer to the Satisfactory Academic Policy.
What does my income have to be in order to qualify for federal financial aid?
  • The Department of Education uses all the information that the student provides on the FAFSA to produce the Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The school uses the EFC to determine the type of aid the student will qualify to receive.
Where can I go for help with my paperwork?
  • The Enrollment Services One Stop Center at SOWELA is happy to assist you with the FAFSA application or any other financial aid paper work. You should never pay anyone to help you apply for financial aid.
  • Currently we are located in the main SOWELA Charleston Building in Room 1109. Our office hours are the following:
    • Monday-Thursday: 7:45 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
    • Friday: 7:45 a.m. - Noon
    • The office will open for extended hours during peak registration and processing times. The hours will be posted on the college calendar.
Are there any programs that are NOT eligible for federal financial aid at SOWELA?
  • The following program is ineligible for financial aid: Nursing Assistant.
What happens to my aid if I withdraw from my classes or stop attending school?
  • You may be responsible for repaying funds. For more information click here or call the financial aid office at (337) 421-6545.

Image for Adobe AcrobatAdobe Acrobat Reader Install



© Copyright 2017, SOWELA Technical Community College. All rights reserved.