Tuition Appeals are for students who are requesting a refund, credit, or balance waiver of their registration charges due to extenuating circumstances that occurred during a given term. In some instances, students may use a Tuition Appeal for a request to be withdrawn from a course past the designated withdrawal period.
The Tuition Appeals Committee will consider requests for adjustments to tuition charges when a student can document extenuating circumstances such as: (Please review the Tuition Appeal Guidelines (PDF).)
- Student illness during the semester
- Illness of immediate family member during the semester (parent, child, spouse, sibling or grandparent)
- Death of immediate family member during the semester (parent, child, spouse, sibling or grandparent)
- Military deployment
- Change in employment schedule beyond student’s control
- Verifiable error of SOWELA
- Other: Provide a detailed explanation of the situation and include all relevant documentation.
- Adhere to the standard drop procedure
- Attend class(es) for a substantial length of time
- Complete the semester
- Appealing for non-refundable registration fees
- Voluntary employment change
- Class assignments not met (see Department Chair)*
- Issues between the student and the instructor
- Instructor says they will take care of it. Student is responsible for changes to his/her schedule
- Disciplinary Action
- Unaware of drop schedule
- Non attendance
- Did not like the course for which you registered
- Incorrect course advising recommendations provided by “other” college
Appeals must be received within one year from the end of the term in which the course was offered. Appeals older than one year that do not have supporting documentation showing an inability to attend will be denied.
* Please note: If your circumstance is due to an issue with the instructor, curriculum, or class instruction methods, visit with your instructor, Department Chair or the appropriate Academic Dean over your circumstance before attempting this process. Grade assignments and other academic issues are not within the scope of these procedures and are addressed in the College Catalog.
Students should be aware that if a Tuition Appeal is submitted and they are a Financial Aid recipient, their Financial Aid may be impacted. They may potentially owe SOWELA money. It is strongly suggested you meet with a Financial Aid representative before you file a Tuition Appeal.
The committee meets once a month or on an as-needed basis. Once the Tuition Appeal Committee has reached a decision, the student will be notified via email within two weeks of the meeting date stating the decision and action to be taken next by the College or the student. Decisions will not be given over the phone.
Tuition Refund/Waiver Appeals Process
- Review the Tuition Appeal Guidelines (PDF).
- Complete the online Tuition Appeal Form (opens new window).
- Compose and attach a typed appeal letter explaining your situation, be specific, give details, state your case clearly.
- Attach the necessary documentation to support your claim.
- NOTE: Incomplete appeals will be returned or denied.
Submit all the above mentioned documents to:
SOWELA Technical Community College
Tuition Appeals Committee
3820 Senator J. Bennett Johnston Avenue
Lake Charles, LA 70615
(337) 421-6565 or (800) 256-0483
One Stop Enrollment Center