New Student Orientation will help incoming students feel connected to SOWELA, faculty, staff, and other students while creating a welcoming atmosphere that builds a sense of community among the incoming class. Orientation will provide new students with academic program expectations. New students will be made aware of the resources and services available to assist with their academic, personal and professional growth.
All new, full-time students are expected to attend one of the orientation sessions. Students are welcome to attend any of the on-site new student orientations in Lake Charles, Jennings, or Oakdale. Please register for the orientation date, time, and location that works best for you. If you need to coordinate transportation or childcare, please plan on being at orientation at least 2.5 hours.
If you are attending orientation at the Lake Charles campus, please report to the Sycamore Student Center to check-in (building #7 on the Campus Map). Students may park in the parking lot directly in front of the building.
If you are attending orientation at the Morgan Smith/Jennings or Oakdale site, please park in the parking lot and check-in at the front of the building.
Check-in will begin thirty minutes before the scheduled orientation.
Fall Orientation Schedule – Classes begin on Monday, August 17
- Session 1: Wednesday, July 8 at 2:00 p.m. – check-in begins at 1:30 p.m.
- Session 2: Thursday, July 16 at 10:00 a.m. – check-in begins at 9:30 a.m.
- Session 3: Tuesday, July 21 at 4:00 p.m. – check-in begins at 3:30 p.m.
- Session 4: Wednesday, July 29 at 10:00 a.m. – check-in begins at 9:30 a.m.
- Session 5: Tuesday, August 4 at 10:00 a.m. – check-in begins at 9:30 a.m.
- Session 6: Wednesday, August 5 at 5:30 p.m. – check-in begins at 5:00 p.m.
- Session 7: Tuesday, August 11 at 10:00 a.m. – check-in begins at 9:30 a.m.
- Session 8: Thursday, August 13 at 4:00 p.m. – check-in begins at 3:30 p.m.
- Session 9: Oakdale – Tuesday, August 4 at 10:00 a.m. – check-in begins at 9:30 a.m.
- Session 10: Morgan Smith (Jennings) – Wednesday, August 12 at 10:00 a.m. – check-in begins at 9:30 a.m.
Online orientation is also available for part-time and online students.