The mission of the Flight Advising Success Team at SOWELA Technical Community College is to support and empower students to reach their academic and career goals by promoting an environment of shared responsibility that fosters an ongoing collaboration between advisors and students.
To schedule an advising appointment, contact us at the email address below listed for your campus.
- Lake Charles – FASTadvising@sowela.edu
- Lamar Salter (Leesville) – email@example.com
- Morgan Smith (Jennings) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Oakdale – email@example.com
Include the following information in the body of your email.
- Phone Number
- Student ID Number (L#)
- Date of Birth
- Program Major
Please prepare for your advising appointment by completing the steps below. This will help both you and your Flight Advisor.
- Complete the Application for Admissions.
- Schedule an Orientation session.
- Set up your LoLA (opens new window) account.
- Please have your ACCUPLACER test scores or your ACT scores on file with SOWELA. It is important to know where you are in Math, English, and Reading. These scores are necessary for Associate’s degree and Practical Nursing diploma programs only.
- Determine if you plan to enroll as a full-time (12 or more credit hours) or part-time (less than 12 credit hours) student.
Role of the Flight Advisor
- Encourage, teach, and help students to develop a realistic academic plan consistent with educational, personal, and professional goals.
- Inform students about college policies and procedures.
- Inform students about resources and opportunities on campus.
- Provide transfer information and guidance as needed.
- Share knowledge about programs and graduation requirements.
Role of the Student
- Carefully consider your academic and career goals and share this information with your academic advisor.
- Review your major and degree requirements.
- Ask questions!
- Create an academic advising file.
- Contact your Flight Advisor about any academic difficulties.
- Pay attention to important dates and deadlines.
- Review the Academic Calendar.
- Prior to dropping or changing a course, consult with your Flight Advisor.
Role of the Faculty Advisor
- Act as a mentor with detailed knowledge of the student’s program of study.
- Double-check to see that the student is following an accurate plan toward graduation.
- Inform the student of current trends in business and industry.
- Assist the student with securing internships and networking with professionals in their chosen careers.
- Serve as a critical link to the employment pipeline, especially as a student nears graduation.
- Advising Syllabus (PDF)
- Flight Advisors
- Individualized Student Flight Plan (PDF)
- Pre-Flight Plan (PDF)