Don’t Miss Your Shot!
COVID-19 Vaccine Clinic
Students receive a $100 VISA card!
- Wednesday, September 29th
- 9:00 AM – 11:30 AM
- Sycamore Student Center, Multipurpose Room
The event is open to SOWELA students and employees. Only students will be eligible for a $100 VISA gift card. Bring your driver’s license and current SOWELA student ID.
Scan the QR code on the graphic or click here (opens new window) to register.
Help Keep SOWELA Healthy!
- Wear a Mask
- Social Distance (6 ft!)
- Wash Your Hands
Due to a mandate from the governor’s office, the COVID-19 protocol is in effect at all SOWELA locations.
College and LCTCS Notifications and Advisories
SOWELA is closely monitoring the effects of the Coronavirus and its potential impact on students, faculty, and staff.
This webpage will serve as a central repository of information to ensure that our students and employees are adequately informed about this evolving situation.
Update: SOWELA COVID-19 Policies and Guidelines (August 9, 2021)
SOWELA will adhere to the orders, proclamations, and regulations of the Governor of Louisiana as well as guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Louisiana Department of Health (LDH) regarding COVID-19.
Therefore, to assist in decreasing the spread of the COVID-19 virus, it is the College’s policy that all students, faculty, and staff (even those who are fully vaccinated) are required to wear masks or face coverings which completely cover the nose and mouth areas while inside any building including, but not limited to, classrooms, labs, offices, hallways, and stairways.
In addition, SOWELA continues to promote social distancing of 6 feet and the practice of frequent handwashing.
If you have COVID-19 symptoms and/or test positive or have been in close contact with an individual known or suspected to be infected, please report the information by using this form (opens new window).
COVID-19 Exposure Report Forms
- Student Reporting COVID-19 Exposure Form (opens new window)
- Employee Reporting COVID-19 Exposure Form (opens new window)
Student and Employee Forms
Message to Students – May 31 2021
The Governor’s mandate on facial coverings for higher education institutions has been lifted. SOWELA has updated our health and safety protocols, including that students and employees are not required to wear a mask on SOWELA campuses (effective May 27, 2021). Masks are highly encouraged for students and employees who are unvaccinated or are most vulnerable to the effects of COVID-19. In addition, SOWELA continues to promote social distancing of three feet and the practice of hand washing.
The health and wellness of each other is still SOWELA’s top priority! If you have COVID-19 symptoms and/or test positive or have been in close contact with a known or suspected COVID-19 infected individual, please report the information by using our Student Reporting COVID-19 Exposure Form (opens new window).
College and LCTCS Notifications and Advisories (March-June)
- Tiger Love Requests for Pickup (opens new window) available May 26th thru July 31st, 2020
- CARES/CRRSAA Act Student Emergency Grants
- April 27, 2020: Message to Students – Incomplete Grades (PDF)
- April 19, 2020: SOWELA Campus Update (PDF)
- Online Tutoring Now Available (opens new window)
- REVISED Spring 2020 Academic Calendar
- Spring Break Update (PDF)
- Spring 2020 Commencement Announcement (PDF)
- Virtual Counseling Services Available (opens new window)
- List of Courses Not Offered Online (PDF)
- LCTCS – Coronavirus 2019 (opens new window)
- March 20, 2020: One Stop Center Updated Information (PDF)
- March 20, 2020: Chancellor’s Memo to Employees – Closure of SOWELA main campus/instructional sites eff March 23, 2020. Telecommuting continues (PDF)
- March 17, 2020: Chancellor’s Memo – Updates and Telecommuting Policy (PDF)
- March 13, 2020: Chancellor’s Memo – SOWELA Suspension of All Non-essential Travel Effective 03-16-2020 (PDF)
- March 13, 2020: Chancellor’s Memo – Classes Cancelled March 16-20 (PDF)
- March 13, 2020: Grad Fest Postponed (PDF)
- March 13, 2020: SkillsUSA Postponed (PDF)
- March 12, 2020: Chancellor Aspinwall’s Memo to the SOWELA Community about COVID-19 (PDF)
Information for Faculty and Staff (March-June)
- June 8, 2020: Phase II – SOWELA Return-to-Campus Plan (PDF)
- May 18, 2020: Phase I – SOWELA Return-to-Campus Plan (PDF)
- 6.060.1 Telecommuting Policy During COVID-19 Statewide Emergency (PDF)
- Emergency Telecommuting Definitions and Guidelines (PDF)
- Office of Group Benefits-COVID-19 Site (PDF)
- Paid Sick Leave and Expanded Family and Medical Leave Under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA) (PDF)
- ESI (Employee Assistance Group) – Accessing Coronavirus Resources (PDF)
- ESI – Worried About Coronavirus? (PDF)
- FYCA (Family & Youth Counseling Agency) – Phone & Web-Based Counseling
- FYCA – Coping with Anxiety (PDF)
- HigherEd EAP – April 2020 Newsletter (PDF)
- CDC – Stress and Coping with COVID-19
State Notifications and Advisories
The Louisiana Department of Health website (opens new window) contains detailed information about COVID-19 and precautions you can take to avoid becoming sick from this or any other virus, including influenza.
- July 23, 2020: MASK UP – Council of Student Body Presidents (opens new window)
- Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT) Program: Applications open for parents of school-aged children that receive free or reduced-price lunch (opens new window)
- Cyber Risk Management Information (PDF)
- Map of Wi-Fi Access in Parking Lots of Public Libraries in Louisiana (opens new window)
- March 23, 2020: Governor Edwards Announces a Stay-at-Home Order and Closure of State Offices (Proclamation 33 JBE 2020) (PDF)
- AT&T’s “Keep Americans Connected Pledge” Concerning Service (PDF)
- March 16, 2020: Governor Edwards Announces Aggressive Measures to Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 (opens new window)
- March 13, 2020: Teachers Retirement System of Louisiana Building Temporarily Closed to Visitors (opens new window)
- March 10, 2020: LDH Daily Update 2 (opens new window)
- March 10, 2020: LDH Daily Update 1 (opens new window)
- March 9, 2020: LDH-Louisiana’s First Presumptive Positive Case of COVID-19 (opens new window)
- March 3, 2020: Governor John Bel Edwards Letter to All State Employees re: COVID-19 (PDF)
Federal Notifications and Advisories
The CDC website (opens new window) contains an abundance of information on this public health threat and specific guidance on measures designed to help communities and individuals prepare for, and respond to, the spread of the virus that causes COVID-19. Below are several pages with helpful information.