|Tuition and Registration Appeals |
Tuition Appeals are for students who are requesting a refund, credit, or balance waiver
of their registration charges due to extenuating circumstances that
occurred during a given term. In some instances, students may use a
Tuition Appeal for a request to be withdrawn from a course past the
designated withdrawal period.|
The Tuition Appeals Committee will consider requests for
adjustments to tuition charges when a student can document extenuating
circumstances such as: (Please review the Tuition Appeal Guidelines)
- Student illness during the semester
- Illness of immediate family member during the semester (parent, child, spouse, sibling or grandparent)
- Death of immediate family member during the semester (parent, child, spouse, sibling or grandparent)
- Military deployment
- Change in employment schedule beyond student's control
- Verifiable error of SOWELA
- Other: Provide a detailed explanation of the situation and include all relevant documentation.
In all cases, the situation must have interrupted your ability to:
- Adhere to the standard drop procedure
- Attend class(es) for a substantial length of time
- Complete the semester
Examples of reasons not accepted are:
- Appealing for non-refundable registration fees
- Voluntary employment change
- Class assignments not met (see Department Chair)*
- Issues between the student and the instructor
- Instructor says they will take care of it. Student is responsible for changes to his/her schedule
- Disciplinary Action
- Unaware of drop schedule
- Non attendance
- Did not like the course for which you registered
- Incorrect course advising recommendations provided by "other” college
Appeals must be received within one year from
the end of the term in which the course was offered. Appeals older than
one year that do not have supporting documentation showing an inability
to attend will be denied.
* Please note: If your circumstance is
due to an issue with the instructor, curriculum, or class instruction
methods, visit with your instructor, Department Chair or the
appropriate Academic Dean over your circumstance before attempting this
process. Grade assignments and other academic issues are not within the
scope of these procedures and are addressed in the SOWELA Catalog and Student Handbook.
Students should be aware that if a Tuition Appeal is
submitted and they are a Financial Aid recipient, their Financial Aid
may be impacted. They may potentially owe SOWELA money. It is
strongly suggested you meet with a Financial Aid representative before
you file a Tuition Appeal.
The committee meets the third Friday of each month or on an
as needed basis. Appeals must be received in the office by 3:00 p.m.
the day before in order to be heard the following afternoon. Appeals
received after 3:00 p.m. will be held for the next scheduled meeting. Once the Tuition Appeal Committee has reached a
decision, the student will be notified via email within two weeks of the
meeting date stating the decision and action to be taken next by the College or the student. Decisions will not be given over the phone.
Tuition Refund/Waiver Appeals Process
- Review the Tuition Appeal Guidelines.
- Complete the Tuition Appeal Form.
- Compose and attach a typed appeal letter explaining your situation, be specific, give details, state your case clearly.
- Attach the necessary documentation to support your claim.
- NOTE: Incomplete appeals will be returned or denied.
Submit all the above mentioned documents to:
SOWELA Technical Community College
Tuition Appeals Committee
P.O. Box 16950
Lake Charles, LA 70616-6950
Fax: (337) 491-2017 or